How to Make Money as A Student in College – 30 Best Ways
Want to earn while you learn? Our guide for college students presents 30 lucrative ways, from designing online to content writing, to make extra income.
Being in a college can be tiring and fun at the same time. It requires that you strike the right balance between studying and recreation. While you spend time trying to achieve this balance, you also have to keep a check on your wallet. Having a wallet with cobwebs in it isn't ideal, but is finding work simple? Well, times have changed. Earlier, you had to physically go find work, now all you need to do is a Google search.
Whatever may be your interest with regards to the style of work, we understand that earning money is important and can be a matter of pride. So, if you're a college student looking for ways to earn money to pay your own bills, then you might want to go through this list. We're sure you will find it beneficial.
Freelance on Fiverr
The freelance website called Fiverr is a great option to earn money. It is so efficient that, if used properly, it can help you clear your student loan debt! The website lets you use your skills to make money on a regular basis. You will need to create gigs that highlight what your good at like, graphic designing, content writing, and video editing. You can sell each of your g igs for $5-10 and you can go higher if you have a better rating. Ratings are given on the quality of your work, so make sure you do your best.
If you're skeptical about the earning potential of online gigs, consider this:
- User Base: Fiverr has millions of users from over 160 countries.
- Service Categories: The platform offers services in more than 300 categories, ranging from graphic design to programming.
- Revenue: In 2020, Fiverr's revenue was reported to be $189.5 million, a significant increase from previous years.
- Average Spend: Buyers on Fiverr spend an average of around $150, according to some reports.
- Freelancer Earnings: Some top-rated sellers on Fiverr reportedly earn six-figure incomes annually.
- Mobile Usage: Approximately 30% of Fiverr's transactions are done via mobile devices.
Sell Designs Online
Creating art is a gift and doesn't come naturally to everyone. So, when companies or individuals want a design, they look for artists who can do their work at a competitive price. So, if you think you have a creative mind then websites like Freelancer.com, Upwork.com or 99Designs is a great choice for you. You get to showcase your design skills and also make money for doing it.
The following platforms offer various ways to connect with clients, from bidding on projects to participating in design contests, making them ideal for designers looking to sell their services.
- 99Designs: Specializing in graphic design, this platform allows designers to participate in contests or be directly hired by clients. It's a great place to showcase your portfolio and compete in design challenges.
- Upwork: A general freelance marketplace that includes categories for graphic design, web design, and other creative services. Upwork allows you to bid on projects and offers a platform for long-term client relationships.
- Freelancer.com: Similar to Upwork, Freelancer.com offers a wide range of categories but is particularly strong in the design and creative sectors. You can bid on projects or enter design contests.
- Behance: While not a traditional freelance marketplace, Behance is a platform where designers can showcase their portfolios. It's often used by employers to find and hire talent for design projects.
- Dribbble: This is another portfolio website that has a job board and freelance opportunities. It's highly respected in the design community and is a good platform for connecting with potential clients.
Tutor Junior Students
Many don't consider tutoring as a great option to make money, but people are always willing to pay big bucks to be taught. There are always students who would have a hard time coping with a subject that you are good at, so you can use that opportunity to teach them. It's a great way to earn money and improve your people management skills.
Tutoring is a classic yet highly effective way for college students to earn extra income. Here's why it's a great option:
- Flexible Schedule: Tutoring often allows for a flexible timetable, making it easier to balance academic and social commitments.
- Skill Reinforcement: Teaching a subject helps reinforce your own understanding of the material, which can be beneficial for your academic performance.
- Personal Satisfaction: The act of helping someone understand a difficult concept can be incredibly rewarding, offering a sense of accomplishment.
- Networking: Tutoring can help you build valuable relationships, not just with students but also with their parents and educational institutions, which could lead to more opportunities in the future.
- Good Pay: Tutoring rates can be quite competitive, especially for subjects that are in high demand, such as math, science, or standardized test preparation.
- Remote Opportunities: With the rise of online education platforms, you can even tutor students from different parts of the world right from the comfort of your home.
- Resume Booster: Tutoring experience can be a strong addition to your resume, showcasing your expertise in a subject as well as your skills in communication and leadership.
Tutoring offers a win-win situation: you earn money while helping others, all without compromising your own studies. It's an option that combines financial gain with personal and academic growth.
Create Custom Websites and Logos
If you're a student who knows a thing or two about web design, creating custom websites can be a great way to make some extra cash. Businesses and people want unique websites that stand out, and that's where you come in. You can take someone's idea and turn it into a real, working website. And the best part? You can charge good money for it. Plus, every website you build makes you better at design and coding. It's like getting paid to practice! So, if you're looking to use your web design skills in a way that's both practical and profitable, custom website development could be just the ticket.
Don't underestimate the power of custom website development as a way to make money. People and businesses are always on the lookout for unique websites, and they're willing to pay for quality. So, take your classroom or self-taught web design skills and put them to work. Each project you take on not only pads your wallet but also gives you real-world experience that can't be taught in a lecture hall.
Write Content Online
Freelancing as a content writer is a great way to earn money. There is always work in this field and it also gives you the flexibility to write on various topics like health, lifestyle, entertainment, and marketing. As a student, you may have written many essays and research papers, so writing should be easy.
Whether it's articles, blog posts, or even social media updates, there are countless opportunities to get paid for your words. And here are the most popular content mills:
- Textbroker: A well-known content mill that connects freelance writers with clients in need of written content. It's a platform where you can start earning money relatively quickly, especially if you have good writing skills.
- iWriter: Similar to Textbroker, iWriter allows you to pick assignments based on your skill level. The platform also offers opportunities for higher pay as you gain experience and positive reviews.
- Contently: This platform is more suited for experienced writers and offers higher-paying gigs. You'll need to create a portfolio on their platform to get started.
- WriterAccess: This site also uses a rating system and offers a variety of writing assignments, including blog posts, articles, and even white papers.
- Constant Content: This platform allows you to write and upload articles for sale on a variety of topics. You set your own prices, and clients can purchase your articles directly.
- Zerys: This platform offers a job board where clients post writing assignments. You can bid on projects, and there's an option for clients to hire you for ongoing work.
Start Your Own Blog
Blogs are a great way to earn money or “passive income” through affiliate marketing. Affiliate marketing invoves writing about a certain product or promoting it on your blog and attaching an affiliate link to the product. When the visitors click the link, they are then directed to the website of the business that owns the product. With every purchase of the product, you receive a cut
For those interested in taking this route, we've already published an article listing the best platforms for creating a blog to help you get started on the right foot.
Create Video Content
Creating video content is an increasingly popular way for students to not only express their creativity but also to earn some extra income. Whether you're into vlogging, tutorials, or entertainment, the video format allows you to connect with an audience on a personal level.
However, it's crucial to understand that you won't be able to monetize your content immediately. Each platform has its own set of rules and requirements you'll need to meet before you can start earning money:
- YouTube: Monetization starts when you reach 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours within the past 12 months. You can earn through ads, memberships, and sponsored content.
- TikTok: The Creator Fund pays based on various factors like views and engagement, but you'll need at least 10,000 followers and 100,000 video views in the last 30 days to qualify.
- Snapchat Spotlight: Monetization is through a daily cash pool, but your video Snaps need to meet certain engagement metrics to qualify.
- Vimeo: Direct monetization is available through Vimeo On Demand, where you can sell or rent your videos. You'll need a Vimeo Pro account to access this feature.
- Facebook Watch: To be eligible for ad breaks, you must have 10,000 followers and 30,000 one-minute views on videos that are at least one minute long.
- Instagram: Monetization is primarily through brand deals and sponsored posts, as Instagram is still evolving its direct monetization features.
- DailyMotion: You can join the Partner Program and earn a share of revenue generated from your videos. You'll need to adhere to the platform's content guidelines.
- LinkedIn Video: While direct monetization is limited, the professional networking opportunities can lead to paid gigs or sponsorships.
Creating an app is an exciting task and if you put in the effort to make it great, you can even make money off it. People have made money by designing simple, yet addicting games or just efficient, easy to use apps that cater to everyday needs. There is no limit to what app you can make; just remember, create something that fulfils an unmet demand, answers an unanswered question, and fills a market gap.
Creating mobile apps can be a highly rewarding venture for students, especially those with a background in computer science or software development. Here are some required skills:
- Programming Languages: Knowledge of languages like Java, Swift, or Kotlin is essential.
- UI/UX Design: A good understanding of user interface and user experience design will help make your app more user-friendly.
- Backend Development: Skills in server-side programming and database management can be beneficial if your app requires these functionalities.
Give Campus Tours
Conducting campus tours is a unique and engaging way for students to earn money, particularly those who enjoy public speaking and interacting with people. This job often falls under the purview of the admissions office and is usually open to students who possess a well-rounded skill set. Not only do you need a comprehensive understanding of the campus layout, history, and culture, but strong communication skills are also essential for articulating this information clearly and engagingly.
Here are possible way of monetization:
- Hourly Wage: Most schools offer an hourly wage for tour guides.
- Tips: Some schools allow tour guides to accept tips, providing an additional income stream.
- Scholarships or Credits: Some institutions offer scholarships or course credits instead of a traditional wage.
Sell Your Class Notes
If you like taking notes in classes, then selling them is a great way to earn good money. Almost all colleges have a note selling and note-taking service that you can be part of. As someone who will be selling notes, you will get paid for your efforts. However, there are also online websites that you can sell your notes on and earn good money.
Here are some popular websites where you can sell your notes. Each platform has its own set of rules and commission rates, so it's a good idea to read the terms carefully before you start uploading your notes.
- StudySoup: This platform allows you to upload your notes and study guides and earn money when other students purchase them.
- OneClass: You can upload your notes and earn credits, which can be converted into money or gift cards.
- Nexus Notes: This site allows you to upload your notes and set your own price, taking a commission on each sale.
- Stuvia: Here, you can sell not just your notes but also summaries and study guides. You set your own prices and earn money directly.
- Oxbridge Notes: This platform is geared toward higher-level academic notes, including those for law and medical schools. You can sell your notes and also offer custom note-taking services.
Sell Your Old Video Game Accounts
Just the thought of doing something like that might hurt, after all, you did put in a lot of effort developing that character. However, if you think that you’re spending very less time on your game, it doesn’t make sense to let your hard work go to waste. Instead, there are websites where you can sell your characters and assets to other players. This can result in you easily earning several hundred dollars.
If you decide to go ahead with selling your gaming accounts, choosing a reputable platform is very important point for a secure and successful transaction. Here are some platforms to consider:
- PlayerAuctions: A well-known platform where you can sell accounts for a variety of games.
- G2G: Another platform that allows you to sell game accounts, currency, and items.
- Reddit: Subreddits like r/GameTrade or r/GameSale offer a community-driven way to sell accounts, but the risk of scams is higher.
Offer Babysitting Services
Babysitting requires you to be responsible. So, if you think you are responsible the, by all means, go ahead and take up babysitting. Typically, babysitters get paid $20 for an hour of work, so figure out your schedule and get to work.
Babysitting isn't just a job. It's a role that comes with significant responsibility. You're not just watching the kids but also ensuring their safety and well-being. It's a great way to earn money, but it's also a role that demands maturity, reliability, and a genuine interest in childcare.
If you're adult enough to take such responsibility here are the best platforms to find such job:
- Care.com: A popular platform for finding babysitting jobs.
- Sittercity: Another well-known site for babysitters and nannies.
Ask Your Professor for Work
Students have the option of working with a professor as earning money doing so. Professors often have research projects, administrative tasks, or even teaching assistant roles that could use some extra help. So, if that’s something you fancy then you can try talking to your professor for work.
Asking a professor for work isn't just about earning some extra cash but also a chance to deepen your understanding of your field and gain practical experience. It's a step that requires professionalism and a genuine interest in the subject matter. If done correctly, it can be a win-win situation for both you and the professor.
Become a Bartender or Server
Being a bartender or a server is an interesting job and you’ll mostly be working nights. Many say a bartender is like a psychologist. Well, you can find out for yourself if you’re interested. Apart from your fixed pay, you can earn more by means of tips.
Here are some additional skills that can help you excel in these roles:
- Customer Service: Being friendly, attentive, and efficient is crucial in these roles.
- Basic Math Skills: You'll often handle cash transactions, so being able to quickly calculate totals and give change is important.
- Multi-tasking: You'll often have to juggle multiple tasks at once, especially during busy hours.
- Memory and Attention to Detail: Remembering orders, specials, and customer preferences can set you apart.
- Physical Stamina: These jobs require you to be on your feet for extended periods, sometimes carrying heavy trays or kegs.
- Stress Management: The ability to stay calm under pressure is crucial, especially during busy hours.
Offer Computer Repair Services
If you consider yourself as someone who can quickly learn a software, deal with a virus and so on, then this is the job for you. As someone who fixes computers, you are sure to find jobs easily and it is a great way to earn some extra cash.
Here a few moments to consider to get started:
- Certifications: While not always required, certifications like CompTIA A+ can make you more marketable.
- Word of Mouth: Start by offering your services to friends and family, then expand through referrals.
- Online Platforms: Websites like TaskRabbit or local classifieds can be good places to offer your services.
Have you ever been to a party and thought to yourself that you could do a better job? Joining the party planning committee might be your best bet. You get paid to plan and party/event and the pay is surely good.
This role allows you to bring people together for memorable experiences, whether it's a small gathering or a large corporate event. So, you will require the following skills:
- Organization: Keeping track of multiple tasks and deadlines is crucial in event planning.
- Communication: You'll be coordinating with vendors, clients, and team members, so clear communication is key.
- Creativity: Coming up with unique ideas for events can set you apart from the competition.
- Budget Management: Knowing how to allocate funds effectively is important for successful event planning.
- Problem-Solving: Unexpected issues often arise, and being able to think on your feet is essential.
- Negotiation Skills: You'll often need to negotiate contracts and prices with vendors.
- Attention to Detail: Overlooking small details can lead to big problems, so meticulous planning is a must.
One effective way is to begin by planning smaller events for friends and family, which allows you to build a portfolio of your work. This hands-on experience can be invaluable and also provides you with material to showcase to potential clients. Another option is to seek out internships with established event planners, as this can offer you a more structured learning environment and industry connections. Additionally, leveraging social media platforms like Instagram can be a powerful tool for displaying your creativity and attracting a wider client base. By combining these approaches, you can gain the experience, skills, and exposure needed to succeed in this dynamic field.
Get Paid to Watch Movies and TV Shows
Believe it or not, you can actually get paid to indulge in your favorite pastime - watching movies and TV shows. Companies and market research firms often pay viewers to watch and review content, providing valuable insights into audience preferences and engagement. The pay can vary, but it's an easy and enjoyable way to make some extra money. You might be asked to watch a new movie trailer, an episode of an upcoming TV series, or even a whole season of a show in exchange for your opinions.
To take advantage of the opportunity to get paid for watching movies and TV shows, you can look into various platforms that offer such services. Here are some places to start:
- Swagbucks: This platform pays you in gift cards or PayPal cash for watching video content and completing surveys.
- InboxDollars: Similar to Swagbucks, you can earn cash for watching videos, playing games, and taking surveys.
- UserTesting: This site pays you to watch and review websites and apps, but they occasionally have movie and TV show tests as well.
Become a Mystery Shopper
Go undercover and visit a shop or restaurant and then give your feedback on how they’re doing. As a mystery shopper, you'll visit stores, restaurants, or other establishments posing as a regular customer. You'll then provide detailed feedback on your experience, which companies use to improve their service. The pay can vary depending on the complexity of the task and the company you're working for, but it often includes reimbursement for any purchases made during the assignment.
To get started as a mystery shopper, consider applying through these reputable platforms:
- Market Force: A well-known platform for mystery shopping assignments.
- Secret Shopper: Another reputable company that offers mystery shopping opportunities.
- Ipsos: Known for their market research, they also offer mystery shopping tasks.
- Gigwalk: An app that offers quick mystery shopping tasks in your area.
Offer Gardening and Yard Maintenance Services
Gardening can be a fulfilling and profitable way to earn money, especially for those who enjoy working outdoors. Whether it's clearing fields, cutting down trees, or simply helping neighbors maintain their gardens, there's usually a demand for these services. You can offer a range of tasks from lawn mowing and hedge trimming to more specialized services like landscape design.
Here are the most important skills for this job:
- Physical Stamina: Gardening can be labor-intensive, requiring good physical health.
- Knowledge of Plants: Basic understanding of different plants, soil types, and fertilizers can be beneficial.
- Tool Proficiency: Knowing how to safely operate gardening tools is essential.
Start a Car Washing or Detailing Service
Everyone loves a car that looks good and if someone wants their car to look good then you can be sure that they’re willing to pay handsomely for it. So, if you consider yourself a car person then you can give this job a try
Here are the advanatges of this job:
- Quick Cash: Car washing is a service that people often need but don't want to do themselves, making it a quick way to earn money.
- Low Startup Costs: Basic supplies like soap, sponges, and towels are relatively inexpensive.
- Flexible Hours: You can offer your services during weekends or evenings to fit around your academic schedule.
- Scalability: As you gain more clients and experience, you can expand your services or even hire additional help.
- Local Demand: Cars get dirty everywhere, meaning there's likely a demand for your services no matter where you are.
Secure an Internship
Internships offer a structured and educational environment for students to gain practical experience in their field of study. While some internships are unpaid, many offer a stipend or hourly wage, making it a viable way to earn money during your academic journey.
In addition to potentially earning money, internships offer a range of other benefits that can significantly impact your professional growth:
- Career Development: An internship can provide invaluable experience that looks great on your resume.
- Networking: You'll have the opportunity to meet professionals in your field, which can lead to future job opportunities.
- Skill Enhancement: Working in a real-world environment allows you to apply and improve your academic knowledge.
- Mentorship: Many internships offer mentorship programs that can guide your career development.
- Job Offers: Performing well in an internship can often lead to a full-time job offer after graduation.
- Academic Credit: Some educational institutions offer course credit for completing an internship.
Sell Your Photos
If you have a knack for photography, selling your photos can be a rewarding way to earn money. With the rise of digital platforms, it's easier than ever to reach potential buyers interested in high-quality images for various purposes, such as advertising, blogging, or print media.
By selecting a right platform that aligns with your goals and skill level, you can optimize your earning potential and reach a wider audience.
- Shutterstock: A popular platform for selling stock photos.
- Getty Images: A well-known platform that offers high payouts but is selective about the images they accept.
- iStock: Operated by Getty Images, this platform is more accessible for beginners.
- 500px: A community-focused platform where you can sell licenses for your photos.
- PhotoShelter: Provides photographers with website templates to create their own portfolio and online store.
- Dreamstime: A stock photo platform that offers competitive royalty rates.
- Adobe Stock: Integrated with Adobe's suite of creative products, making it convenient for photographers who already use their software.
- Alamy: Offers a high commission rate for photographers.
- Etsy: A good platform for photographers looking to sell prints.
- Your Own Website: Creating a portfolio website can give you full control over how your work is displayed and sold.
Get Paid to Answer Questions
Another great way to make money is by answering questions. There are many websites that offer people the chance to ask questions to subject matter experts who get paid for answering the questions. So, if you consider yourself an expert in a certain field of study then this is a great option for you.
Whether you're an academic scholar, a tech guru, or a hobbyist with a lot of knowledge, this can be a rewarding way to share what you know in one of the following platforms:
- JustAnswer: Connects experts in various fields with people who have questions.
- PrestoExperts: Offers a wide range of categories, from health and education to technology.
- Experts Exchange: Focuses on technology-related questions.
- Chegg Tutors: Ideal for academic subjects, allowing you to help students with their questions.
- Quora Partner Program: Allows you to earn money by asking and answering questions, although the program is by invitation only.
Drive for Ride-Sharing Services
If you own a car and have some spare time, driving for a ride-sharing service like Uber can be a convenient way to make extra money. You'll be able to earn cash while enjoying the comfort of your own vehicle, and you can choose when to work based on your schedule.
This way of earning extra cash have some advatages:
- Flexible Hours: You can choose when to work, making it easier to balance with your academic commitments.
- Immediate Earnings: Payments are usually processed quickly, often within a few days.
- Social Interaction: You'll meet a variety of people, making the job more interesting.
- Vehicle Expenses: Some of your car expenses, like gas and maintenance, may be tax-deductible.
- Bonuses: Many ride-sharing platforms offer bonuses for completing a certain number of rides or for high ratings.
And here are some popular platforms where you can offer ride-sharing services to earn money:
- Uber: One of the most popular and widely-used ride-sharing services, Uber operates in numerous cities and countries, offering various options like UberX, UberPOOL, and Uber Black.
- Lyft: Similar to Uber, Lyft is a widely-used ride-sharing service that operates in many cities.
- Via: Focuses on shared rides, aiming to reduce the number of individual car trips.
- Bolt (formerly Taxify): Operates in Europe and Africa and is known for lower fees for drivers.
- Curb: Targets users who prefer traditional taxis but want the convenience of app-based hailing.
- Blablacar: A long-distance carpooling service popular in Europe.
Stream Games on YouTube
If you're passionate about video games and have a knack for entertaining an audience, game streaming on YouTube can be a rewarding way to earn money. By sharing live or recorded gameplay, you can attract viewers and potentially monetize your channel through ads, sponsorships, and fan donations.
What skills are required for this way of earning money:
- Gaming Skills: Being good at the games you play can attract more viewers.
- Entertainment Value: A charismatic and engaging personality can keep your audience entertained.
- Technical Know-How: Understanding how to set up and manage a live stream is essential.
- Communication Skills: Interacting with your audience through chat or commentary can enhance viewer engagement.
Rent Out a Spare Room
If you have an extra room in your home or apartment, renting it out to other college students or tenants can be a smart way to generate additional income. This option can help you cover a significant portion of your monthly expenses and may even yield a profit.
Renting out a room is an opportunity to make efficient use of your living space and share the responsibilities of home maintenance. Whether you're looking to cover your rent or save for future expenses, this option can be both financially rewarding and personally enriching.
Offer Voice-Over Services for Videos and Podcasts
The growing popularity of videos and podcasts has led to a surge in demand for voice-over artists. If you have a captivating voice and strong reading skills, this could be an excellent opportunity for you to earn money.
If you're interested in offering voice-over services, there are several platforms where you can showcase your skills and connect with potential clients:
- Voices.com: Specializes in connecting voice-over artists with clients in need of vocal talent.
- Voice123: An online casting service where you can audition for voice-over roles.
- Bodalgo: A platform that offers a range of voice-over job listings, from audiobooks to commercials.
- Casting Call Club: Focuses on voice-over work for animated projects, video games, and dubbing.
- Mandy Voices: A job board specifically for voice-over and other vocal performance roles.
Teach Online Courses for Additional Income
The rise of online education platforms like Udemy has made it easier than ever to monetize your expertise by teaching online courses. You can create an entire course on a subject you're knowledgeable about and sell it to a broad audience. The earning potential can be quite promising.
Whether you're an expert in coding, digital marketing, or creative writing, sharing your knowledge can be both rewarding and profitable. Check out the following platforms:
- Udemy: One of the largest online learning platforms, offering courses on a wide range of subjects.
- Coursera: Partners with universities and organizations to offer more academically-oriented courses.
- Skillshare: Focuses on creative and practical skills, from art and design to business.
- Teachable: Allows you to create and sell courses on your own branded website.
- Thinkific: Offers comprehensive tools for creating, marketing, and selling online courses.
Work at Public Libraries
If you're looking for a calm and fulfilling part-time job, working at a public library can be an excellent choice. Responsibilities often include sorting books, shelving new arrivals, and assisting patrons. Typically, this job can be done a couple of times a week, offering a flexible schedule and decent pay.
Working at a public library offers more than just a paycheck:
- Relaxed Environment: Libraries are generally quiet and peaceful, making the job less stressful.
- Skill Development: Gain valuable skills in organization, customer service, and data management.
- Educational Benefits: Access to a wide range of books and resources for your own learning.
- Community Engagement: Working in a public space allows you to interact with a diverse range of people.
Teach Music Lessons
Do you have a gift for playing great music? Can you play the lead for ‘Sweet Child O Mine’? Maybe the second question was an exaggeration, but you get the point. If you can play really well, then maybe you can teach music. It is a great way to earn money and enjoy your work.
What do you need to start teaching:
- Musical Proficiency: A high level of skill in your chosen instrument is essential.
- Teaching Ability: The capacity to break down complex musical concepts into understandable lessons.
- Patience: Teaching often requires a lot of repetition and encouragement.
- Communication Skills: The ability to convey instructions clearly and effectively.